“Loach An Phobal for 2016”


Laoch An Phobal For 2016

Beverly Lynn Chastain May 6, 1970 – March 13, 2015


Beverly Lynn Chastain, 44, of Winter Haven Florida, Was born in Boyd County Kentucky to David and Linda Yonts on May 6th 1970.  Beverly attended school in Ashland Kentucky and attended College Indian River community college.  After a brief 18 year hiatus from school to raise her Daughter Stephanie, Beverly returned to school after marrying her husband William (Troy) Chastain to receive her Bachelor Of Science Degree in Elementary Education from the University of South Florida. Beverly passed away Friday March 13, 2015 after being struck by westbound tractor trailer on Hwy. 60 with her husband by her side in Osceola Florida.  She was tragically taken as her Heavenly Father called her home.

She was a loving wife, awesome mother, amazing mamaw, loyal friend and dedicated believer.  Being a 9463 Foundation Core Rider, she enjoyed going on motorcycle rides and competing in BBQ competitions with her husband.  It took her 38 years to do so, but she found her soul mate and loved him dearly.  All who knew Beverly know just how much she loved her family, especially her Granddaughters Sydnei, and Taylor; they were her everything.  She enjoyed spending time with her family including her church family.  She would bend over backwards to help her family and friends.  She was a teacher at Alta Vista Elementary and she loved her students and teaching.

She is survived by her husband, William “Troy” Chastain; parents, David and Linda Yonts; daughters, Stephanie Anderson and her husband, James Anderson, Julie Chastain, Jennifer Chastain, Heather Chastain, Ashley Chastain and Kimberly Chastain; her brothers, David Yonts II and his wife, Wendy Yonts, Shannon Yonts, Joey Yonts and sister in-law, Keri Yonts; her granddaughters, Sydnei and Taylor; grandsons, Elijah and Harley; grandparents, Herb Yonts and Georgia Price.

Laoch An Phobal For 2015

Michelle Bates

Michelle was not only a good friend to the core riders of the foundation, but a part of the foundation it self. She went on the ride each year and did a great job at any task that was asked of her including selling the State Ride shirts at each stop. She helped us all year long with so many tasks which may have had nothing to do with the foundation, it did not matter if you needed help she was there.

She loved butterflies so we have included one on the front of this years ride shirt and are very proud to select her our first Laoch An Phobal who was not a law enforcement officer.

Michelle also loved cupcakes so we will  be making a stop at the Palm Beach Sheriffs Office during the 2015 State Ride (1:00pm on Firday, March 13, 2015) as the PBSO dispatchers will have cupcakes for everybody!!!

Michelle Jean Bates, 45 of Royal Palm Beach passed away on Saturday May 31, 2014 at Palms West Hospital after a brief illness.

Michelle was born to Bruce W. Bates and the late Julia A. Bates on April 27, 1969 at Malcolm Grow U.S.A.F. Hospital, Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland.

Michelle was educated in Anne Arundel County MD, followed by community college during her 8 years with the US Air Force. Her service for her country was diverse and impressive.

Michelle’s last 8 and half years had been spent with the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office (PBSO) as a 9-1-1 Communications Officer, a job she developed a true passion for. Michelle was awarded Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office Communication Employee of the Year in 2013. She also had the honor of being selected as the 2013 Association of Public Safety Communications Official’s (APCO) Florida Chapter Telecommunicator of the Year.
She is severely missed…

Laoch An Phobal For 2014

Summary of Broward County K9 Deputy Sheriff Michael Metroka

Vehicular Assault / November 29, 1997

Deputy Metroka was injured after being involved in a hit and run on November 29, 1997, and died of his injuries on December 15, 1997. Deputy Metroka and his canine partner were traveling westbound when another vehicle struck his patrol car. The suspect, a convicted felon, got out of his vehicle and approached the patrol car before fleeing the scene after removing a gun from his wrecked rental car. K9 Woedon, Deputy Metroka’s partner, exited the vehicle and chased the suspect before returning to stay with him until rescue crews arrived. The suspect was captured a short time later and has been charged with manslaughter, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and other charges.
Subject: Michael Lee Brown  / Convicted – Incarcerated until 2033 / Sumter Correctional Institution –  Bushnell, Florida.
Deputy Metroka had served with the agency for 10 years. He is survived by his wife, mother, and sister.

Laoch An Phobal For 2013

Summary of Fort Lauderdael Police Officer Walter Ilyankoff

Robbery / Murder July 21st, 1974.


Alvin Ford **Deceased**

Henry Robinson DOC # 047115

George Decosta DOC # 047116

Alvin Lewis DOC # 046735

George Decosta and Alvin Ford had been acquaintances in the northern Florida for several months. On July 20, 1974 Alvin Ford stopped at George Decosta’s house in Jacksonville, Florida and suggested they drive to Fort Lauderdale to “make some money.” Alvin Ford explained that a friend, Alvin Lewis had already checked several “Red Lobsters” and was waiting for them to arrive in town. They met with a mutual friend, Henry Robinson and began the 300+ mile drive to Fort Lauderdale. George Decosta drove the trio south until he got a speeding ticket in the Orlando area. Henry Robinson drove the rest of the way.

The three arrived in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, July 21, 1974 at 12:30 a.m., they were met at the turnpike by Alvin Lewis. Alvin Lewis directed the three men to a motel on Federal Highway, 3 miles south of the Red Lobster Restaurant where they spent the night and planned the robbery. George Decosta later stated that his role was to enter the restaurant and secure the employees after Alvin Ford entered.

At approximately 8:00 a.m. on Sunday, July 21, 1974, Alvin Lewis picked up the three from the motel. All four subjects then drove to look at two different Red Lobster Restaurants. The group decided on the one located at 5950 North Federal Highway.

Alvin Ford and Henry Robinson entered the rear of the restaurant while George Decosta and Alvin Lewis sat outside in the car, armed with a .22 caliber rifle.

When restaurant employees ran from the restaurant to escape the terror, they were confronted by the armed George Decosta and Alvin Lewis. Alvin Lewis secured a female employee (Barbara Buchanan, who later witnessed Officer Ilyankoff’s execution) in a small utility room at the direction of George Decosta. George Decosta then grabbed another female employee from the parking lot and returned her to the restaurant.

When George Decosta felt the police had been notified he broke a rear window of the restaurant with the .22 caliber rifle and yelled for Alvin Ford and Henry Robinson to leave. George Decosta and Alvin Lewis were fleeing the scene when Henry Robinson ran from the restaurant and jumped into the car. Alvin Ford was left behind.

Officer Walter Ilyankoff, a 15 year veteran Fort Lauderdale Police Officer, responded and arrived within a minute. Officer Ilyankoff was ambushed by Alvin Ford as he walked to the side door of the restaurant. Officer Ilyankoff was shot twice in the abdomen by Alvin Ford and fell to the ground. As Officer Ilyankoff called for help on the radio, Alvin Ford demanded the keys to the officer’s patrol car. After finding the keys, Alvin Ford returned to the fallen officer and executed Officer Ilyankoff by shooting him in the head, killing him. Alvin Ford stole the officer’s service weapon and fled in the patrol car following George Decosta, Alvin Lewis and Henry Robinson in the get-away vehicle.

George Decosta jumped from the get-away car a short distance away because he believed the police were following them. He was taken into custody several hours later after being tracked by a K-9 officer. Alvin Lewis and Alvin Ford were also taken into custody within the next 24 hours. Henry Robinson was arrested in Guatemala under an assumed name 3 months later and returned to the US.

Alvin Ford was found guilty and sentenced to death; he died in prison awaiting execution. Henry Robinson was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison. George Decosta and Alvin Lewis were allowed to plead guilty to 2nd Degree Murder in exchange for a LIFE sentence.

Alvin Lewis was given a second chance and granted parole in January 1983. Over the next 8 years Lewis was arrested on 9 different occasions on charges ranging from parole violations to weapons offenses. Again and again he was given every opportunity to successfully complete parole and integrate into society yet he continued his criminal activities. He was ultimately returned to FSP in December 1993 where he remains.

Officer Ilyankoff was survived by his wife and two children.